Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Time warp

For lunch we went to Reno's Steakhouse. I ordered a beer only to find that on a election day in this town, you cannot be served spirits until 6 pm. The waitress responded in some serious twang, "'Parently in this hick town, politicians have been known to buy people's votes with liquor." Well, I declare!

Kentucky feels like a time warp. The parts I've seen seem a throw back to what I remember growing up with in the 80s. Neighborhoods of kids, nobody all that wealthy. Bad hair. Worse fashion. A t.v. in every house, if you were lucky, anyway. And then there were some things I didn't expect perse. Trailer parks plentiful. And on the side of major highways. As though that were your front yard. And still, I'm not sure how anyone pays for anything. It's industrial, looks like mine country. The local gas station had 4 pumps out of service, and those working had no automatic cut-off mechanism. An older gentleman was pumping away until the lady in the box hollered over the system, "Sir! Your car's leakin'!" And at these gas prices...ouch!

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

Girl you better get back to bloggin!!!!!