Thursday, October 2, 2008

Green-ville

This morning my Dad and I visited a building in Battery Park City known as "America's first environmentally responsible residential tower." We viewed the basement first, how the building recycles its water (sewage and all). My Dad and his colleague filled a bucket at a sampling spout but I couldn't muster the gall to take a sip.

We headed up to the roof after that--a view that must lend gorgeous sunsets over the Hudson. And into a model apartment, the floors made of recyclables, the lights also energy-saving, all the materials in the apartment are environmentally friendly, green. For a new building, I don't know why any company, municipality wouldn't go this route. Retro-fitting prewar buildings in the city, however, seems a far more daunting task.

Once outside, we walked through the all-organic garden and grounds. It's a beautiful community. A one-bedroom starts at about $3500. Lately, I've worried that the paint chipping in my apartment may be lead-based and hazardous. Wouldn't it be great if green could become the default?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne!! (that's one of my sister's
names) - here I am again...the name's
Tom (you know, California) - I'm glad
I caught you in last evening at GETE...so here's the deal: my girlfriend, Lisa, will be in your fair city at the end of this week and I was hoping you could give me some suggestions on dinner restaurants and clean, neighborhoody watering holes on the upper west side (or anywhere in the city for that matter? many thanks,Tom (I, myself, will hopefully be back in the spring) - take good care and happy holidays