Monday, October 20, 2008

Shoulda had some spinach

I fear I have turned into some kind of prima donna.

I ordered delivery from Clinton Street Baking Company, the first experience I would have with a fairly well-renowned local spot. Let's say I was, well, stoked to have me some Southern-style fried chicken. And it is a rare thing for me. Growing up, I was never a fried chicken fan. KFC? Church's? Mrs. Winner's? No thanks.

Anyway, this fried chicken comes with jalapeño cornbread and some honey. Ok, ok. Sounds good. But upon arrival, I was less than pleased. Granted anything via delivery, unless it's soup, is rarely as good as in house. Still, there was no actual corn in the cornbread. And the batter for the fried chicken, well, it tasted like Rice Krispies. Hmph. I only like my snap, crackle and pop with milk.

But here's the real prima donna part. I expected the chicken to be boneless. They sent a thigh, a breast, a wing and a drumstick. I was really hoping for chicken breasts so I didn't have to go ripping into bones. I wanted fried chicken that you eat with a fork. What is that about??

All things considered, for $16 excluding the tax and delivery guy tip, I could've gotten a whole bucket at Popeye's, plus mashed potatoes, and fed four! If only the Popeye's on 1st hadn't closed 6 months back...

No comments: