Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gringa tax world-wide

Today I learned that the "gringa tax" also applies in India. Having run to the liquor store to grab a bottle of wine with the newest guests who arrived at Chinky's house today (the mother and sister of the bride), we learned that we had, apparently, gotten swindled. Back at the house with the bottle, everyone asked how much it cost. Paying $30 US for a bottle of wine?!? What!! Oops. I didn't know. Should have known.

So, I called Chinky who was at the market just down from the liquor store, and she said, "Yeah, bring it back. We'll have a good fight over it." Oh also, I neglected to mention that the four bottles of Kingfisher I had bought two days prior at the same liquor store, two of which I had already drank...? Yep, expired. Back in June! So I, turned right back around, met Chinky at the market, and we headed to the liquor store. She looked at me and said, "Roll up your sleeves..." and we stepped up to the counter. Turns out, they'd only overcharged us $5 US for the wine, but still. And they replaced the beers, apologizing, realizing their error and, worse, my humiliation and frustration. Note to self: look before you leap? Nope: bargain!  You'd think I'd have learned this lesson by now.

Back at the house for another lovely dinner, the house has filled with good energy and people.
Rukhein and Kristy, the bride and groom, Kristy's mother and sister, Rukhein's mother (Chinky) and sister (Ruhi), and Chinky's sister who lives in Little Rock (Minnie), we all having sat down and enjoyed butter chicken, ladyfingers (which is what they call okra), and dahl. Delightful. And don't let me forget Rushtam! The menacing puppy of the house. Everyone in India has dogs. According to Aunt Minnie, Minnie Bubby as she's called, cats are inauspicious. India is helping me to remember that people are people. And there are a lot of good ones in this world. Thankfully!

No comments: