Saturday, March 21, 2020

Sightseeing

Freedom Tower
I decided to take in the sights as best I could today.  For a nice burst of exercise and sunshine, I headed to the roof of my five-floor walk-up.  With 100% of non-essential services getting the kibosh today, I was also curious to see how many people were out on the streets.


Con Edison stacks in the distance
I live on the back of the building, so it's generally quieter, which I like.  My veranda (aka fire escape), therefore, is also on the back of the building.  So, I am forced up to the roof for any sort of street view.  We have a courtyard in the back, which I also like.  Green space in this city is a treasure.

I did see a number of folks outdoors.   It was a beautiful spring day with temperatures in the 50s and clear blue sky.  I also saw the bus that runs down Avenue C today.  So MTA is still chugging along.
Empire State
My street also has a connecting foot bridge to the East River Park, meaning we are often overrun with joggers.  Today seemed like business as usual from my perch up on the roof.  Just me, the pigeons, and NYC sights.

Freedom Tower through the trees
As many of you know, we have been facing difficulties for years living in this building in NYC.  Those of us who are "rent-stabilized" anyway.  The latest situation seems crueler than usual.  The owner has changed the intercom service from a buzzer intercom to some app-based nonsense.  First off, this begs the question that every tenant has a smart phone.  Second, this new system requires tenants to take up space on their personal phones, download the app, and provide all personal info to this random app.  Third, the reviews of the app are shit.  Fourth, it is contrary to the NYC building code.  So, that will be another fun topic to tackle with the owner, our lawyer, and city and state agencies.  But more than that, it is especially disheartening that the owner would impede anyone's access to delivery services right now.  Heartless.

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

Ironically its kind of a blessing that the building is not full right now!