Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Laundry

I made plans to go horseback riding today but the sky just clouded over...I also did laundry and have it hanging on the line. Strike two. We had 15 minutes of rain yesterday and it looks just the same, so I'm trying to remain hopeful! Ah HA! A patch of blue sky!

The town of Baños is a vacation spot for estrañeros y nationales as well. I was stopped by a man named Juan in the supermarket today who asked me where I'm from. I told him and he replied, "Oh, adorable!" New York, adorable? Not exactly the word I would use...I have to admit I was thankful to hear it, though. My Spanish isn't exactly spot on, so I was glad to smile and agree, a kindness I'm much more often on the receiving end of!

It's funny this traveling thing. I was too embarrassed to hang all of my clothes (i.e. underwear) on the line to dry today. Not that it will matter to me weeks, months from now, but the first time, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I had spoken with the woman who works Reception at the hostal and, as it turns out, her sister, husband, mother & father all work here as well. Maybe that added to it...that in combination with the selection I brought...I guess I just wasn't ready to share all that with perfect strangers. I just couldn't muster the guts. Silly? Seguro.

Several of the groups of indigenas do their laundry in the water that falls directly from the cascades.

No comments: