Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mariachi in Baños

Today I have an eye twitch. ARGH! I can't figure out why, haven't been able to resolve where it came from, but it's annoying! Every 30 seconds or so, there it goes. Funny how the silliest of things, the most mundane subjects have some import. I have to admit, it's nice to contemplate something so menial, rather, it's nice to have the time to contemplate something so menial!

The day is overcast and I haven't managed to schedule much. I am also sore from yesterday's ride through the mountains. I haven't gone horseback riding in years but headed out nonetheless. My horse's name was Mariachi. Jorge, my guide, told me that he's always the lead horse. Here I am on the alpha horse...fitting. We rode up into the mountains to several amazing vistas and views. For the last hour climb, we had to change courses. There was a bus stuck in the middle of the road, so we ended up climbing a steep mudslide with lots of low-hanging branches. I felt like a real cowgirl! Whenever there was long stretch of path, Mariachi and I took off. It was freeing.

Today I tried a local candy made of sugar cane. They make it by stretching the cane out on a post, pulling it about 3 feet, and then looping it back around the post. The candy is essentially hardened sugar, but the making of it is really fun to watch.

No comments: