Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The self

I claimed myself as a writer on my tax return this year. I wonder if that's accurate. Do you have to make money at something in order for it to be your "occupation"? I don't think so. You are what you love. Anyway, I'm hoping that the more I claim myself something, the more viable it shall become!

A kid named Sean came into the restaurant today. He had worked there a short while, years ago; I remembered his face. He came in to confess that he'd stolen money every shift he worked, an estimated total of a grand. His parents passed away this year, one right after the other, and he said that losing them had spurred him to take stock of his life. Part of his realizations involved righting the wrongs he'd done. In his hand he'd brought $1500 which he gave to the owner with deepest apologies. So obviously nervous and ashamed, he shook through the entire conversation. I wanted to touch him, show him some kind of comfort but didn't interject. It wasn't my place. And in New York, you mind your business.

This morning, as well, a co-worker came directly to work from court in tears. She's spent the last 2 two and a half years fighting for full custody and adoption rights for an adorable two year-old who's lived with her since day 29 of life. The unstable biological mother has popped in and out of the process, one month asking for rights, the next few missing court dates. Today was the last of it. The judge put an end to any further objectives from the bio mom's lawyer and severed visitation rights. My friend had just hired an expensive, super savvy attorney, and for a pretty penny. But after having read the file, the new lawyer called my friend to agree to take the case pro bono. She admitted that she'd never seen a case quite like this one.

So the owner comes up on her way out to lunch and says she's going to blow the $1500 on her 50th birthday celebration at the end of this month. I told her that it seemed a pretty serious karmic moment, that maybe she should do something good at least with a part of the money. She talked about donating to the ashram she attends. Me, I mentioned the two-year old who'll now have a chance in life. Turns out, the owner gave the newly official mom-to-be a large chunk of the money for her new official daughter-to-be. It's a day for good things. On a day so dreaded, taxes due, money wasted or gained, it's nice to see evidence of what really makes each of us human.

No comments: