Thursday, March 20, 2008

Except or accept

St. Maarten is beautiful, the land reminiscent of Peru in colors and landscape, only on a microcosmic scale. The same style of peaks in the hills, green crumbles of mountains. But the beaches are the epitome of Caribbean. And suddenly I am back on the island of Margarita ten years ago. Or in Colombia last year.

The people remind me of Cartagena, too. And I wonder about the notion of light versus dark. It seems that the people working are darker, those vacationing lighter. Can it be globally that lighter indicates some sort of ease or favor? The States has its issues. In South America, there exists a class issue or maybe just a distinction between indigenous people and those from European descent. Perhaps I am merely a victim of my own time. Perhaps I just need to travel more. And probably to Africa. And yet, we all covet what we don't have. Who hasn't wished something had been different? Curly hair, blue eyes, skinnier, better rhythm, taller. I guess it's all about self-acceptance, dark, light, skinny, short.

On a lighter note, all puns aside, here's to Tony and his self-acceptance and confidence in sharing himself with the world. In his birthday suit on his 30th birthday today! Ole!

No comments: