Monday, March 24, 2008

T - L = me

I came across the February issue of Travel + Leisure today and snagged it for the train ride home. Upon first glance, I was delighted at the find, hoping for hidden treasure. What did I find? Rubies and emeralds and diamonds, oh my! While I am the travel type, the leisure type I apparently am not. There were adventures listed galore, driving Argentina's lake district, the wonders of India, even mini write-ups of the 20 best places in the world to visit. Excellent! But upon further inspection, several of the rates started at $1095 per night. Cough, cough. Let me clear my throat.

Further reading caused more heartbreak. Since traveling last year in particular, I've hoped to continue expanding my knowledge and experience of and with this planet and its inhabitants, whether domestic or international. This magazine just helped me glimpse all of which I'll never be able to afford, even did I require a jacuzzi bath and bidet in all my bathrooms while traveling. And what's worse, I thought of all the people I have met, whether domestic or international, who can barely feed their families with what they make week to week, and I wonder. Are those who can afford this leisure happy? Are they happier than those who cannot? Are the haves really better off? And isn't it all relative? To many I am a have. And yet reading that magazine, I see myself as a have not much at all. Ultimately, I can't help but think. Is the catered life that much more worth living?

No comments: