Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Shared berths

On the bus back to Hanoi, I took pictures of our group, individuals as well as a group shot.I know, I'm silly. I guess I wanted us to all live on together somewhere, even if only in the memory of a photograph. What an amazing group of people! Everyone got along. Everyone was kind, fun, interesting and interested. I feel blessed.

Back in Hanoi, several of us continued to travel on together to Sapa, the highlands, on an overnight train. Jazmine, the wicked funny Canadian, and I were in a berth with two Singaporeans. How advantageous! My parents have been living in Singapore for the past 2+ years, so we had plenty to discuss. Another man also joined us in our berth for a bit of the conversation. He was Chinese but they referred to him as the Chinaman. We talked about life and family, but more than anything I think they were aghast at how friendly and outgoing we were. Three days on a party boat, not much sleep, we were a nutty pair to encounter. Jaz even pull a quick-change into her nightie in front of them. Blond, blue-eyed and bra-less. Classic!

We booked the night train to Sapa at Hanoi Backpackers' as well. And all things considered, we should have asked a few more questions. Ernesto ended up in a berth with strangers instead with any of us. And while it's not such a big deal, I would have been really uncomfortable had it been me.

No comments: