Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Outside in

Koh Chang is dead. I like it. People, but not that many. And none concerned with me. What. So. Ever. It's nice being left to ponder, to enjoy, to chill. I've settled in to the Apocalypse Now of Koh Chang, Independent Bo. I have a bungalow on the sand one story up from the water. Palatial, no? But A-ok.

Last night I went to a friend of Jacqui's house. She'd just moved in and decorated. Charming! And thanks for the invite! We were eight. Then six. Let me mention Anuska. Belgian married to a Thai man. Intense. We all joked and drank whiskey and whatever else, and near the close of the night, she mentioned that we (the US of A) should be ashamed of what we did to the American Indians. I mentioned that I am proud of my country, granted not for the treatment of people native to the continent. But that for me, as a general feeling, there's something unique and special about the States that I love and am proud of. I responded. And didn't back down to her. Bring it on, Belgium. Well, she lost it and started screaming at Jacqui. Quote: "You're not Espana. You're Jew! You're ashamed to say you're a Jew, but you know what you are! You Jew!" Hmm...as though one's religion indicated nationality. Jacqui was born in Spain, and her mother is Jewish. Are all Catholics from Vatican City? Strange, this Anuska and her reasoning. Of course, it could be the Sangsom Thai Rum.

Jacqui told her to leave, which she did, just after pointing at me and saying, "And you! Your country is shit!" Woah. Thank God. Allah. Buddha, Shiva, Zeus we were drinking not tequila.

We think we know, but we have no idea what it's like to be from somewhere else. Or what's going on in anyone else's head. A Belgian living in Thailand, I'm sure she fights feeling like an outsider every day of her life. But is that a reason to beat up on other more obvious outsiders? Jacqui mentioned that this can become a way of life here. Drinking beyond your limits, and often. An island of alcoholics. Oh, also. Anuska teaches SCUBA certification. For her living. To outsiders.