Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The last of the Kohs

My cab driver this morning told me, "I love you!" Well, maybe it's a city versus non-city people thing with me? I ventured out last night with Nampu, one of the gals who works the front desk and remembers me (and she I) from my stay at Lamphu Tree Hotel three months ago. We hit Koh San Road, and let me tell ya, it hits back. The one thing to watch out for, in my case anyway, is Sangsom Thai Rum. They serve it in buckets, people.
You've been warned. As seems often the case, we danced the night away to a band covering all the hits. From The Scorpions to No Doubt to Guns 'N Roses. The best part, which have I mentioned?, are the singers' interpretations of the lyrics. Love it! Oh, and a lovely gentleman did walk me home. I say, these city-folk seem to receive me much better than did the Islanders. Thankful.

I am headed to the Ekkamai Bus Station for the bus then ferry to Koh Chang. The manager of the hotel wrote out 'Ekkamai Bus Station' in Thai for me to hand my cabdriver. Either this man has the most exquisite handwriting I've ever seen or Thai is the most beautiful written language. Either way, I considered having it tattooed on my body. While others get Chinese characters meaning peace, longevity, truth...me...Ekkamai Bus Station.

Koh Chang is the Thai island closest to Cambodia, only about 5 hours from Bangkok. I have only a few days left in this adventure and thought, "Why not, one more excursion?" I had thought of crossing into Lao from North-western Viet Nam, but it is truly the road less traveled. And Lao is not known for its timeliness. Or airlines. Five days in Lao and I may easily have found myself stuck.

On the back of my cabbie's seat reads this sticker: "In a zoo, we do for animals what we have done for ourselves in houses. We bring together in a small space what in the wild is spread out." Considering the size of my apartment, that makes me most like a Tasmanian Devil. Or proportionally perhaps some kind of frog.

With a coffee from Dunkin Donuts, I am ready. And the only farang on this bus. Three Buddhist monks. Three Thais, one with a baby. I love the details. For example, what do payphones look like in Thailand?

Remain open to the universe and it will present itself to you. And amazing what it presents. Often presents. The zipper on my bag from Sapa broke on our stop for lunch. Only problem, it broke closed, not open. The only foreigner on this bus, except Jacqui. A jewelry maker, she shoved her way into my bag problem, determined to fix it. And so it began. Turns out, Jacqui knows a few of the Islanders I encountered at the start of my trip. Small. Small this Earth.

So Jacqui offered me a ride. Off the bus, we awaited her driver. Jayin (jiy-yin). We met up with her around the corner of the bus' last stop. Jay is fabulous. And a lady-boy. We ran a few errands, had some lunch and chatted into the afternoon. On the ferry over to Koh Chang, we encountered Robin Hood, a drunk former cargo captain who had seven golden Buddhas around his neck. The sea rough, the ferry was buffeted about, but never fear. Robin Hood is here! Apparently, as long as he's on your ferry, nothing bad is going to happen. A six pack of Heinekin and we'll all tell ourselves anything.

No comments: