Sunday, May 4, 2008

Live

Last night the Black Crowes played. I had a cassette tape of them back in the day, the album Shake Yo' Money Maker. I think I was in the 8th grade. I heard once that the music you identify with most, you heard at or before age 15. In that sense, anything post teenage years may be of your liking but will not have the same effect as would anything from your formative years. I can identify. The Black Crowes are in there for me. Along with Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, Nirvana added to a strange blend of bluegrass, classical and heavy metal.

There's nothing better than live music. And getting to see a group perform live whose music has touched your heart. The Crowes played several songs that took me right back to Leafmore Creek pool and crushes on lifeguards. To July thunderstorms and evening cookouts. To lying in front of the t.v. on the floor watching the Braves on TBS.
My friend Emily McMahan was in love with the lead guitarist, Rich Robinson. And 18 years later, he's still looking good.

Tonight, Morris Day & the Time closed out the festival, best known for his hit Jungle Love, "O-E-O-E-O-E," followed by a fireworks extravaganza.

No comments: