Sunday, May 18, 2008

Triple play

Does anyone else ever want to destroy the television? And especially when those triple play commercials come on? The one with reggaeton background music, some bald dude rapping on a couch, girls with umbrellas and one poor sap dressed up as an alligator, in which they're all telling you why you should sign up. It's awful. And brilliant. The number to call, 877-393-4448, is ingrained in my memory, but hopefully not for life. There is a new ad running, thank the sweet Lord. Swing music, I think. Somehow much easier to forget.

Keep in mind, I have yet to call for the service. I haven't had cable for years. And even when I did, I can't remember the last time I paid for it! And these days, who needs it? I watch Thirteen, the city's public station. And other than that, everything else you might want to watch is available on the internet anyway.

And so I wonder, could it possible that the television is becoming obsolete? I remember the first t.v. we had. It had antennae and a knob to turn to channels U through 13. And my friend Tony left me his tellie after his move to San Fran, via Iowa. So I had to get rid of mine. It's from my parents' basement. I remember watching MTV on that thing, when MTV was new. The 24 year-old who helped me move it admitted that he'd never seen a t.v. as old. I think it may have been older than him!

Wait a minute. Doesn't a triple play mean you're out??

1 comment:

Kayscorner said...

Yes. You're out 3 times.

Watching Prince of Tides; scenes from the marshes and beaches in SC and NYC before 911. Makes me a little homesick.

Love you.