Saturday, May 3, 2008

Work done

While on the plane down here, I remember thinking and even whispering, "My lord, Heather. I have never been on a plane with this many old people in my life." Wheelchairs, canes, walkers, looks like it's true. A whole lot of New Yorkers retire in Florida.

The flip-side to the retirement communities and in equal numbers are the plastic surgery recreated. Another Florida phenomenon. Young, trendy husbands buy wives face-lifts, boob jobs, tummy tucks. What?!? Were I married and my husband bought me any of that, I think I'd be insulted. It's a status symbol of some sort. And the men, too. They spend the same dollar for dollar at the cosmetic surgeon, hair salon, the car dealership. And I'm sure on manicures and waxing, too. What a trip!

But in all honesty, the most interesting is when the two collide: the plastic surgery recreated retiree. Joan Rivers is not alone. For me, though, there's just something normal about aging. I know, I know. I'm in my early thirties. What do I have to complain about? And, hell, who knows? Maybe one day I'll join the masses. But don't get me wrong, I already look forward to retiring! And yet I fear my career has yet to begin...

Happy 26th today, Heather!

No comments: