Thursday, July 31, 2008

Taxi!

Maybe everyone in the world hails a cab everyday. Or at least once a week. Maybe not. Either way, it's a way of life for me in New York. And there are rules. And karma. If you cut in front of someone for a cab, which I've done, it shall be done unto you. You may even find yourself pulled from one. Thankfully, I have yet to have been.

And there are quite a few out there, granted, not when it's raining. When I first moved to the city, living uptown, Kennedy Car Service was on my block. And so began my love affair with the Lincoln Town Car taxi. The only drawback, that darned rear-view mirror, and the frequency of the driver's eyes in it.

These days, I'm for the straight sedan. The old cop car yellow cab. Worn seats that have seen more than you could imagine. You can put your feet up in the window and lounge. That's my kind. I'm not a fan of the Jeep Cherokee newbies, unless entertaining a group. I think they're hybrids, but certainly have the greenest drivers. You'd think the newest cars would go to those with the most time on the job, but not the case.

And then there's the mini-van. Oh so not a fan. What does a girl have to do for a dial on the side of the captain's chair? I swear, you end up crunched at a 45° angle the whole ride. Craft-o-taxi gone all wrong.

The only I have yet to experience, are new Nissans, I think...will keep you posted.

With all this talk of reducing your carbon footprint, I gotta let up on my taxi thing. I love not having a car but don't mind been driven around from time to time. And I'll say, some of the most interesting conversations in life happen in a cab ride home.

No comments: