Sunday, September 2, 2007

Can a change do you good?

I love New York in September. The humidity disappears and the skies are nothing but blue. Breezes sweep through the streets, the summer pressure cooker smells, melting asphalt, boiling garbage, steaming food carts, all wisked away to another world. The nights are fresh and cool. It's gorgeous.

So I've been thinking. I know, I know. Bad, Anne! Bad, Anne! But maybe I'm a change addict. No, not nickels and dimes, but locations, countries, ahem, jobs?? My work history is pretty solid. I'm no job-jumper. But it seems like every 5 years or so, I make a change. Whether in career, city, personality maybe even, it seems like I'm compelled to make a change. I grew up in a stable environment. My family moved once, and, yes, I went. Kicking and screaming. So maybe that's part of it. I have a need to move around because we never really did. One of my friend's families moved all the time. And she and her sisters are all homeowners. Hmm. I wonder if I'll ever have one of those I've-lived-on-this-block-for-20-years moments. Even the change of seasons makes me happy. Moving from summer to fall, I'm giddy! But what's more, could I ever be happy settled? In one place, in one career, in one personality? What is this need for change?

No comments: