Friday, September 21, 2007

Without a struggle

I overheard a girl on the subway talking to a friend today say, "I'm having a quarter life crisis. Should I just go to law school and say *@^$@# it all?" And to think that all my friends have been talking about 40 being the new 20. Apparently, we've managed to bump up the glory age a whole other decade. Granted, most of them are beautifully closer to 40 than 20...I just hope I make it to 40 when it's at its peak. With my luck, once I do get there, the hip age will have reverted back to 22 and the fashion world will have resurrected those awful multiples that were so popular in the 80s.

But then, it occurred to me. Since when is furthering your education viewed as a negative? Why is it that law school is a cop out for this twenty-something? What generations of women were denied for ages is now viewed as passe for those borne of those generations? Have we come so far only to want the lives our grandmothers and greats lived? While traveling, I washed my clothes in cement basins, by hand, with a hose or spigot, when lucky. Having done so, I no longer take for granted laundry service delivery here in the city. But I can't help but wonder whether we take for granted other bricks in the foundation laid by women before us. As generations with nothing but opportunities ripe for the taking, does it take being denied a thing for us to want it?

No comments: