Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Finding the center

I reconnected with the people at the center today. I've tutored at the Andrew Glover Youth Program for almost 3 years, and I went in today to see if they needed help. Schools have all resumed schedule, so the neighborhood is quiet in the day. An hour a day, kids screaming during recess, but the streets typically empty during the day. It's nice. Feels more mine.

The night tonight is beautiful. The day was gorgeous as well. The sky covered in those fast moving clouds, the kind that make you think the world's just moving faster today. And the light over the world fades, only seconds later to find the sun's return, brilliant and bright. I spent the evening in a local garden, lying in the grass looking up at the stars. I'm not sure about anybody else, but I've always had a protector constellation. Orion. The hunter. When I was growing up, driving my yellow Beetle, I'd pop the top and see Orion in the night sky watching me make it home, all safe and in one piece. It was prominent in the sky while I was traveling, too. Nice to know someone's looking out for you in this life, guarding your steps and passage.

So then it dawned on me. We all end up in places we don't expect at the start. We're all surprised what we end up with and as. But me, I'm pretty pleased so far with me lot in life. I don't live the most traditional kind of life but I hope it's authentic. Turns out I'm nowhere as old-fashioned as I once thought. I am free in life, much freer than I felt before it seems.

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

youve done this for the past 3 years and this is the first Im hearing of it? Damn girl..what other secrets are you keepin!!