Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The M.C.

So this is Day 4 of the Master Cleanse. Some of you may have witnessed this madness in the past. Many of you may not yet have had the pleasure. It's a fast. You don't eat, but you do drink. It's a mixture of fresh lemon juice, organic maple syrup and cayenne pepper. You drink the mix every time you feel hungry for as many days as you wish, 10 being the typical minimum, 40 being the recommended maximum. The cleanse was developed by a man name Stanley Burroughs, who is renowned for his work in the field of alternative health care and research on the role of toxemia in disease. This cleanse is supposed to help detoxify the body, while providing all the necessary nutrients the body needs throughout the duration of the fast.

I personally underwent this cleanse twice last year and found the results remarkable. Weird, right? First off, the notion of not eating? Just seems absurd. But if Gandhi could do it, I figured I could at least try. Then, people most ask about cravings and the desire to eat and, well, chew even. And oddly enough, you don't have them. Normally. This time I have had a few funny cravings. Like the other day, I really wanted a Philly Cheese Steak, which I never eat. It was more specifically grease and fried foods. They say that when you do experience cravings it's because your body is ridding itself of those very things you crave. Yep. I've had some fried stuff in the last 10 months. And today, riding my bike, I smelled a charcoal grill and just about fell off my bike. Yep. I've been a meat-eater for the past 10 months, too.

When you come off the fast, you drink orange juice for a day, and the following day, homemade vegetable soup. I do love me some veggies. So wish me luck. I'm shooting for at least 10 days...

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

I need the exact recipe for the drink please. Im going to try it too.