Thursday, September 6, 2007

Met at the Met

I got a haircut today, do da, do da. I got a haircut today, oh, do, da, day! Yay! It's mad cute, if I don't say so myself.

So, I biked up to the Met this afternoon to meet my new friend Keri. Yes, as in, Keri...is so very. We roamed the museum, well, got lost a bunch. Even with a museum map in hand. We saw all the Renaissance stuff, some china from China, cool Revolutionary war stuff, but kept missing the Rembrandts exhibit. Through the Modern Art section, up the stairs to the contemporary stuff, I was in heaven. I have needed some culture. That inspiration felt when glimpsing a painting you've never seen before that moves you to tears. Or exploring a sculpture you've never seen, even though you may have walked past it time and again. And, sometimes, living in New York, I'm just ashamed of myself. So many wonderful musems, cool things to do and see, and, me? I hardly leave my neighbor-hood. Shame, shame, shame.

But not today. It was another glorious September day, that probably shouldn't have been spent inside. But if going to a museum, it seems a worthy sacrifice. No sacrifice at all today. I think my favorite will always be Picasso, but I adore anything that stops and makes me think. Or leaves me speechless. Or just looks cool.

There are also those pieces that seem as though a first-grader could have done them. They seem so out of place. At one point, I did ask,"What is this? Sherwin Williams?" The installation was nothing more than pastel rectangles of color hung from lightest to darkest. For a moment, I thought I was there to pick up swatches. I know, I know. Who am I to judge?

We ended the day on the rooftop garden. They sell alcohol and fun snacks, but per the fast, I did not partake. The view spans most of Central Park, full of trees, brought to an end by the towers of buildings. And, to our credit, the Rembrandts exhibit is on the map, but doesn't start until next week.

P.S. Thank you to the artists featured on this site, whether living or gone. The words are all original and the photographs, but some of the things captured therein? I haven't even got a paint brush to my name. Yet.

No comments: