Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Long Island Mutants

I've had this theory for a couple of years now that Long Islanders are mutants. Maybe I've mentioned the theory, but it just seems to recur in my life, the point continuously being raised and then proven. As though we've moved from theory to hypothesis, experiments ongoing. I'm not sure what it is but Long Islanders are just a little different. Maybe it's a side effect of being down stream from Manhattan, I don't know. But I've been thinking about the positives lately. They could have a team called the Mutants. Maybe hockey. Or rugby. Not sure what the mascot would look like exactly...maybe part human part frog...but algae would definitely be involved.

Now here's the interesting part. Most native Long Islanders agree with my theory, fully embracing their own mutations and mutant kin. Hmm. So then I wonder. Do they think they're more evolved? Those mutations making them better equipped to deal with, say, influenza, your run-of- the-mill biohazard, even nuclear war? Something to consider.

Heather and I spent the day driving around small North Shore towns way out here on the island.We visited Duck Walk Vineyards and enjoyed a tasting of five wines. The Pinot Meunier, with a black pepper finish--spicy!--and the Blueberry Port took the cake for me. It's always nice to buy local. We had lunch at Love Lane Kitchen in Mattituck. I'm convinced that anything prepared with love is bound to be good. And was it delish. I'm not sure how much traffic the place gets but it's worth nestling in for a tasty lunch!

To close out the day, we stopped at a cemetery. On the bank of a pond, the graves look out onto the water full of ducks and swans. The air gray with fog, the scene was ripe with autumn. What a lovely place to spend an afterlife. Whether man, woman or mutant.

No comments: