Saturday, October 6, 2007

Origins

The Fiesta Parade happened today. Right past my job up Amsterdam Avenue. Guess it was somehow related to Columbus day. I think it was an all-inclusive Spanish-speakers parade. But the jury is still out, I thought. Was Columbus Spanish or Italian? Not that it's all that important, I guess. Either way, I feel kind of indebted to his adventurous spirit and/or dumb luck. And I think I may be the only one, for that matter.

I was talking to my cab driver on the way home from work. He used to drive a semi transporting stuff all over the States. He's from West Africa but has been here for 17 years and is proud of the US. He's proud to live here, to work here, to be here. Nice to hear a positive outlook. It's easy to forget what kind of life any kind of person can create here.

No comments: