Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wonderful

Ok, ok, ok. Hold your horses for a second.

Two nights ago Heather and I were talking about music theater. Not really my thing, used to think it was lame, but have now grown to love it. Live, anyway. And I have this idea I'm not going to publish because I still hope to do it, but it involves musical theater and the one, the only, Stevie Wonder.

So. The conversation moves to us visiting Heather's friend Marika in Canada, where Stevie Wonder is rumored to be headlining a jazz festival. So I figure...well, maybe he's on tour. Turns out, I was right. And tonight, people, a dream of mine was fulfilled. Stevie Wonder. Live. On the beach (pretty much). A torrential downpour complete with crackling lighting gave way to a brilliant, full moon that rose over Stevie Wonder.

What a human being. Joy and humility. Jokes. He's so smooth. I was the only person up dancing for Golden Lady, but whatever. This man shares his life with you while on stage. Gracious. Funky. What a blessing. An inspiration. What a voice. From singing "I Just Called to Say I love You" with the winner of a local radio contest and a on-stage dance competition to a duet with his daughter and the first live performance of a new song, Stevie Wonder indeed lives up to his name. I'm thankful to have seen him perform songs all of us know by heart.

No comments: