Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bar karma

I just walked into a bar I have frequented for several years, just about all 4 years that I have lived in my neighborhood. I spoke to the host, fine, wanted to sit at the bar and use my computer, and he told me, "Sorry. That's not possible." Interesting. I have sat at the bar and used my computer in this very place before. So, actually it is possible. Not only is it possible, it's been done on several occasions. Then, he offered me a table in the other room, in the corner, away from any signs of life, which I refused. Politely. I will not be banished for wanting to use a computer. So I started down the block and then decided, bump that. I'm going back to that bar, will speak to the bartender and do as I please. Now, don't get me wrong. I get it. Me using my computer at the bar is dorky and it's inconvenient and maybe even an imposition. But I'm not taking over the bar with my evil Apple. I'm discreet and quiet. There have been times that the bartenders have asked to check email which I offer willingly. But, this place is a Eurotrash bar. All French and snooty, only this ain't Paris, honey. It's New York. So, just to call it fair, I asked the single girl sitting next to me if she thought it was rude for people to use computers in bars. She said, "Actually, yes," and spent the next 10 minutes that it took me to finish a glass of wine texting someone out there. Hmm. So a computer is rude but a handheld version is ok? Are we all just hypocrites?

It's just that I haven't been able to write so much lately and get it out there and I just really wanted to do so. No reason to be a jerk to a girl. And plus, people sit at my bar and use computers. So what is that? If I'd put bad bar karma into the world, understandably, that's what I'd deserve in return. But no. I give good bar love, computer or no computer.

No comments: