Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Marathon

I awoke this morning about 4:30 to watch a lunar eclipse. I've slept on the sofa a few nights, including this one. I had been awakened a few times, the full moon beaming in through the sliding glass doors that link the living room to the three-quarter wrap-around deck. The last time I woke, I couldn't see a thing, as though the lack of light had pulled me from my slumber. Turns out the moon was obscured by clouds, that once passed, gave way to a glowing rose moon. Beautiful, this earth.

Today we had the annual Miller Lite marathon. Competitive beer-drinkers from Alabama, Georgia and even New York gathered on the beach at high noon to start the race. Much like usual marathons, the progression, or shall I say digression, is quite a spectacle. With the random break for ocean dips, salty snacks and refueling, the marathons are known to last well into the night. Those who do make it to the finish line, a motley and stumbling crew, much like your typical marathon runners. A sea of beer cans left in our wake, I think I placed in third this year. A Georgian took the gold, an Alabaman the silver. One quick note, the Alabama was drinking Bud Light, and could have been disqualfied. Instead, he was simply given a six-beer penalty.

P.S. Looking back on the latest entries, there has been mention of alcohol, or at least pictures, in way too many. Vacation is great, but I fear a liver needs a break.

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

Actualy you were second sweetie!! Or it could have easily been a tie for 1st!!
I miss you already!