Friday, August 10, 2007

Fulfillment

Sometimes I wonder if life isn't just a series of missed opportunities. I just talked to Tony who won't be staying in Manchester, NH or returning after his month job in Kentucky. He had gotten consideration to work full time for a theatre there and then the consideration got yanked. He's ok. Not too upset but maybe confused on what he's supposed to do. He's scared that returning to New York may mean assuming bad habits again. I can identify. I really don't want to get stuck waiting tables. Is that ever anyone's dream? And is it the destiny of my generation not to live our dreams? As though we can figure them out but not pursue them? Or pursue them but never be paid or able to sustain ourselves following those dreams? It just can't be the case.

And then I think of prior generations. There are those who had no opportunities. And those who worked whatever jobs they could to live and support their families. And I feel like a complainer. Eww. Like someone with a whole lot of luxury to be able to complain. But when to we get to deem ourselves successful? When we've paid bills and been able to survive? Is that the purpose of this life? Or is it when we've fulfilled lifelong dreams regardless of bills, regardless of survival? I vote for the fulfillment of our dreams.

No comments: