Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New York at night

I love the city at night. Tompkins Square Park empty. It's usually full of people. Sometimes homeless, sometimes drunks, sometimes kids, but tonight empty. It's been cold.

I have been walking the streets at night, almost an observer in a strange place. I know this place but haven't spent a February in the city since 2006. So much is changing, as am I. So many new luxury buildings being erected, it's wild to watch your landscape change right under your nose. The feeling of community seems to be slipping out of the hands of neighbors at the desires of investors and developers. Ah, gentrification.

This winter has been calmer for me than most. The past 4 winters spent here, I've turned into a spaz in the winter, always out dancing, running around. This winter, though, I am mellow. Have I lost my fascination with winter?!? I have always loved it here, because, let's face it. It's easier to warm up than cool off. You can always put on more layers or walk faster to warm up. Plus snow was a rarity in Georgia. But this year, I'm already looking forward to spring!

We had our first snow of the season tonight. It's snowed during the day, big, beautiful flakes floating down from the sky. But tonight it's really been coming down. I had to put on my sunglasses in order to see.Flights canceled at the airports, everyone takes to indoors. There is nothing more beautiful than the city in fresh snow. Serene.

2 comments:

Kayscorner said...

WOW! Nice photos.

Anonymous said...

Really nice shots.
I didn't know you had such a talent for photography.
Or was it the camera? :)