Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super and fat

So Super Tuesday. Isn't it funny that it coincides with Fat Tuesday? Hmm. Super fat Tuesday. I can dig it. Guess you can drink in New Orleans on an election day.

I'm on the subway writing this morning. My breakfast, a granola bar, I feel like a squirrel running around with all the others starting their days. The guy next to me just pulled out a granola bar himself. Ah, the power of suggestion. Obama supporters are out in all their glory today, covered in buttons, carrying signs, passing out materials. But I have yet to see anyone in a Clinton button. Or McCain for that matter. Well, this is New York. But I wonder. Are McCain and Clinton too poised for campaign buttons or is just that their supporters prefer to remain anonymous? I'm curious. Are Obama fans loud and proud, whereas Clinton and or McCain fans shy and poised? As though the fan and candidate mirror each other. Do we vote for those most like us?

So after work, an old neighbor dropped by the apartment just to chat. He must be the only registered Republican I know in the city (aside: he just moved from the city to Jersey). And under the age of 40. Wow. I'm surprised, I have to say, that, one, he admitted he is one. And, two, that he is one. He invited me to a bar to watch the results with the local Young Republicans group. Not really my thing, politics, that is, I declined. It's a funny thing to go to a bar to rally around a t.v.

So lately, I've overheard people calling themselves "fiscal conservatives" but "social liberals," instead of Republicans and Democrats. It seems like a shift is happening in our political system where the two parties are going to disappear, or more than that, that a candidate will be able to be anything in either party. It makes me think about buying a bikini. Well, I like this top in this size, and that bottom in that size but can I mix and match them with all my others? Ha! Politics is like building a bikini. Hopefully, my results this year will yield more super than fat!

No comments: