Friday, March 13, 2009

Adjustments

Public newspapers are posted on easels on certain streets of the city. This morning a cop and an older woman sat across from each other perusing the morning headlines. Some things here are reminscent of South America for me. The heat, sure. The air quality, or lack thereof, as well. But also grills everywhere with exotic meats, all kinds of fun sausages. And fruits. There is this one item, though. I'm not sure what it is. Except for unusual. It looks like a tamale in color but is slimy, only when cut open at one end, it opens like a flower. Or maybe a squid. I'll have to get a picture. And crossing the streets every so often, you'll find a random woman with her sewing machine set up on the sidewalk mending someone's trousers. I saw my first bit of graffitti today, too.

When I first got here, I thought I needed certain things. Air conditioning (??), a double bed (??)...I kept wondering, "Who is this girl?" Looking back, I think I just wanted to relax. The last two weeks in the States, I drove from NYC to Lynchburg, VA and back twice, the second time to attend a funeral. I moved out of my apartment into a storage locker prior to leaving for the funeral, carrying with me several bags of things: funeral appropriate attire and shoes, work clothes, a laptop, every day wear, stuff to sleep in as well as the last odds and ends from the apartment (e.g. hair dryer). Then wrapping my head around what was necessary for months of traveling in a tropical climate meanwhile weathering NYC's latest snowstorm. And staying at 3 friends' apartments. I think it may have been stressful. And I don't think I realized it until I got to Bangkok and slept for 10+ hours each night. How thankful am I to have found this hotel. There's no place like home, but this is pretty close. Here's the complimentary breakfast they offer. And yes, the watermelon is cut into little hearts! I didn't bring a clock or a watch with me but have managed to wake just before sunrise every day. A lovely breakfast seems to start the day off right.

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

That looks beautiful!