Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Breathe

It's a new day. Yesterday, the rain poured and today nothing but blue sky. I loved Satun. Small town, you can walk around at night alone. I wore a scarf as it rained lightly through the evening and found it nice. I'd have thought having to wear a head scarf would be bad but it prove beneficial. Granted, I didn't have to wear it. I chose to do so. When covered up, people seem to pay less attention to you. You're incognito, masked, under cover.

On the ferry to Langkawi this morning, I met a couple who've been sailing the world for the last 16 years. The sea their front yard. And back yard. And swimming pool. Hmm...market probably, too. I can't imagine my home being a boat, but maybe that will change.

Langkawi is an exhale. A much needed sigh of relief. It's really small. I've booked a dorm bed in at a place called Gecko Guesthouse (doesn't seem to have a website) on Pentai Cenang. Langkawi is getting there. Construction is still in infancy stages of development. There are no major Miami skyscraper hotels beachfront, all restaurants and shops seem locally owned and run. No Starbucks, although there was one at the ferry station. The people are chill. Lots of reggae culture and dreads. There may be as many travelers as locals but we seem to be greeted with hospitality. Oh, and cats. I've not seen a single dog but tons of cats. They're everywhere. Add up all the dogs and chickens in Thailand and it might equal the cats in Langkawi.

No comments: