Monday, March 23, 2009

Can I have a...?

So this morning for breakfast before I even opened the menu, the wife asked me where I was headed today. Hmm. "Nowhere," I replied. How wrong I was. Since I had told her 2 nights on the day I checked in, she assumed I was leaving today. No one asked if I'd like the room another night. And posted on the door of the bungalow is a notice of house rules, one of which states that you have to notify them one day before leaving. I notified no one and so thought I could chill out a few days more. So not so. We exchanged words and she told me there were no other available bungalows. Great. So I guess I'm out.

She goes to greet others who've come for breakfast, takes their order, brings their drinks, never again looking my way. Sitting. Sitting. Sitting. She feeds the cat and dog, hollars at someone in the back. Sitting. Sitting. Sitting. And she disappears. Ok. I can take a hint.

I take to my bungalow, perch on the top step and cry like a little girl. A few moments later, I pack. When almost finished, along comes the husband. "Excuse me, miss? We have one room, shared bathroom, for 200 baht. Would you like to see?" Interesting. Upon arrival two days prior, the wife said there was no acomodation for less than the 500 I paid for the beachfront bungalow I was now getting kicked out of. And so I berated him. "I don't know what your wife's problem is with me. I have been nice and clean. I have eaten at the restaurant and your mother has been kind to me. What is her problem?!?" He did not know where to start. Or finish. I told him I didn't want any part of the place any longer. I asked if I could now have my breakfast, ate, paid and left. Isn't this beginning to sound redundant? So maybe it's me.

At any rate, I'm off to Koh Samui. Let's hope there are no nasty, glasses-wearing fishing village, bungalow-running, fibbing wives to encounter. And can someone chant or something for me? It seems most appropriate.

No comments: