Sunday, March 22, 2009

First regrets

It took some doing to arrive at the date today. I knew I left NYC on Monday the 9th but couldn't resolve what that made today.

I spent most of the day organizing. I washed clothes, always fun. You never know what the detergent will smell like! I checked a few things on the internet and tended to the knee. Betadyne is the cure-all here. Regret # 1: I forgot Neosporin and only realized it once I needed it. Regret #2: I forgot peanut butter. Heather...weren't you supposed to be in charge of making sure I had that?!?! At least peanuts are in steady supply to assuage such cravings. They have, in fact, become a meal a day, usually lunch.

Happy to have some solitude, I am not alone, just among strangers. And few at that. I am reading short stories, the greatest travel writers of the US year 2007 for inspiration. One of the writers today mentioned that you have to be able to deal with yourself--just you--when you travel. If you get squirrely, you lose it. I don't get nervous or worried so much, generally just miss certain people. I have yet to cry from it...still too early.

A fair amount of the day was also spent fending off a colony of ants. They have gone on attack. Nothing humanly edible inside, they seem to love Queen Helene cocoa butter lotion and savor Crest cool mint get. All of my stuff rinsed of the creatures, everything in my bungalow is now hanging in some sort of bag from the ceiling, to stave off further curiousity, aka infestation.

At dinner the lady of the house wrapped up my leg. Very sweet. I think she is the owner, her son and his wife, and a baby sister all run the place. The wife...not so nice with me. I'm not sure the deal but she's just plain nasty.

No comments: