Thursday, March 5, 2009

Miss Millie

Today I searched through the contact list in my phone and the first letters I hit took me to contact "Nana." My grandmother, Mildred Carter Hutchison Woody, passed away Monday, February 23rd. A pistol, one could say. She was a real pistol.

She fell ill over Christmas, recovered, and then ended up with pneumonia again just a few weeks back. She conceded to remedies for a few days, but then decided that she had had enough. She refused food and water, only taking morphine when necessary for about a week, and then died.

It's moments like today that make me nostalgic. She was stubborn. She wanted things her way. Who doesn't? She may have been difficult a time or two. Who can't? But still, she was my grandmother. She was also the last of the grandfamily for my brothers and me. Whether you accept family or deny any similarity, it's still all you got. I'll miss you, Nana. Hope you got where you wanted to go, and hope you're looking down on all of us. Smokin'.

No comments: