Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BKK

Bangkok! Made it! I hopped in a public taxi--meter on--and my total to the hotel was 369 Baht, about $10, including 2 tolls. The driver was so friendly, but I'm already up against a language barrier.

The city seems quite usual, the pace and beat of a city. The highway itself, the surrounding buildings, and, of course, palm trees remind me of Miami. From the cab, I saw a granddad, the owner of a watch repair shop, playing with his granddaughter, just barely walking in a bright yellow dress with bloomers. It's life. And we're all living it.

At first impression, the Lamphu Tree Hotel is a gem. On a few websites it is rated in the top 10 of 400+ Bangkok Hotels, and yet the prices are reasonable. There is a pool on the ground floor (NICE), a top floor terrace with panoramic view of the city and breakfast included. After a whirlwind final two weeks in New York, I am looking forward to relaxing for a little bit before hitting the travel trail.

In the past, they have called Bangkok the Venice of the East, and while many of the canals have been filled in, I am in a room with a balcony overlooking one. Bangkok can be pricey, and from what I have read, pricier than other places in Thailand, so seeing that Lamphu Tree Hotel is not only affordable but also that my room has a balcony, air conditioner and mini-bar, who's leaving Bangkok?!? Let it be known: I fell in love in Venice, too, no, not with a man. With the city. So we shall see.

No comments: