Thursday, March 12, 2009

The birdfeeder

I awoke before sunrise. Jet lag reared its head last night, well, last afternoon. But I slept until morning, at least, so hopefully I'll be able to adjust to the time difference within a day or two.

I have slated today as a day of sightseeing. I started out walking to visit Democracy Monument first thing with morning rush hour. It was erected in honor of Siam's first constitution in 1932 that ended the absolute monarchy. The location is strategic as well, between Grand Palace and Dusit Palace.

On my way to Grand Palace, a woman pushed corn kernels on me and said, "Have a wonderful day!" I handed the bags back and walked away saying, "No, thank you." She persisted and we played this game for a few hands. No matter how many times I told her no, she upped the ante and added a bag. They were in total four. Then she insisted I dump the bags to feed the pigeons that had encircled me and refused my returning the bags. I gave them back, nonetheless, and still she continued to push them on me. I kept walking and finally dumped the bags, at which point she demanded money. She said she had three kids and rubbed her fingers together, the international sign for money. She grabbed at my arms and near my bag, though in vain. I was not about to open my bag. The encounter got my heart pumping not only out of the fear but also out of empathy. Yes, I was uncomfortable. My first day in an unfamiliar city. But I was uncomfortable for other reasons, too. How does one help? And all of us. Across the globe.

No comments: