Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kinabalu

The mountain is not going to happen for me. May 1st is a holiday, for all of Asia, it seems. As well, while heading to Borneo to hike Mt. Kinabalu without a tour package is said to be possible, it ain't easy. One company owns the overnight lodging on the mountain, another the permits required to hike. From what I've learned, you have to travel to the park (minimum 2 hours from town) to see if there are any cancellations for the following day, and at that, there's no guarantee anyone will have canceled. Especially on a holiday.

The mountain itself is about 12,000 feet, the summit granite which you have to pull yourself up with ropes at certain points. I have to admit, I'm bummed. Not in the best shape of my life, it would have certainly been a challenge. At the same time, I'm strong and was looking forward to the challenge.

We did visit the National Park and hot springs though today, and walked a canopy through the trees. Our first stop in a local village, the people chew betel nuts. It looks like a tiny red cigar poking out of their mouths, and leaves a red film on their lips, teeth and tongue. Does anyone else remember Mercurachrome? My dad used to use it on, well, any and everything that ailed. Inside the park, a short hike up to the canopy walk, my mom got two steps out and flipped out. Unsteady, giggly, you walk on 2X8 planks of wood through the treetops, holding onto ropes with a net lining on either side. Rereading this, it doesn't sound all that safe, I guess. Sandwiched between my dad and me, though, the moms made it. At one point, she turned to my dad and said, "I'd get in her pocket if I could." Hell, I figured. She carried me around for 9+ months. Least I could do.

P.S. Does the end of the walk look like a heart to anyone else but me?

1 comment:

Travis, Heather, & Tyler said...

Definitely see the heart. :)