Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dancing Queen

The day spent getting to know Kota Kinabalu, we walked along the water. And walked. And walked. Sometimes what looks like a short distance on a map turns into, well, 7 more kilometers. We eventually found Down Below Dive Shop and reviewed options. I'm hoping for a lot of things here in Borneo. There's a mountain to climb and I'd love to get SCUBA certified. We'll see.

To the sunset at the Shangri-La, there cannot be a better sunset view in all of KK. Oh, and there's a fire show to boot!

After dinner, I went out for a little karoake. Why the hell not? I think people are intrigued by me here, a single girl, different. Or maybe it's pity. If I'm a curiosity, probably less so once I open my mouth. Granted, I did start out with Sweet Child O Mine. Still, the bartender befriended me. Shocker. The only girl drinking Chivas, I'm sure. Another girl befriended me, too. We sang ABBA together and lit the place (all three occupied tables) on fire. From Borneo and only 24, but married with two kids, and dating her husband's best friend, she told me her story. Hurting her parents, her husband, abandoning her kids, all that conflicting with her desire to be free. Guilt and more guilt, she turned to me for some answers. Who am I to say anything? All I have is freedom. She thinks she's selfish for not returning to her family and husband. And talk about some guilt. For me? Guilt doesn't exist. If you are true to your heart and honest about it, you cannot feel guilty.

Then she showed me the cuts on her wrist. I swear. All over this earth, people are hurting. And I just want to spread love. We can all be happy. And live our dreams. How? How does it happen? How do we make it happen for all of us? Having the time of your life...and not just in a song?

No comments: