Saturday, April 18, 2009

Street walkers

Today, we cruised the neighborhood called Geylong to pick up the aforementioned charger. Rad was staying in what is known as the red-light district in Singapore. Funny how blue-light these districts are in the daytime. His hostel is directly across from a Methodist elementary school, to boot. Irony.

I climbed the stairs to the first floor where a middle-aged Chinese woman greeted me. I asked her for the charger, mentioning Rad's name. "Oh, no. Rad left this morning." Here we go again. I reiterated that I was there for the charger and said my name. Ahhh, magic words. She unlocked the office and presented it. I jumped into the air a couple of times. Then hugged her. She smiled and even giggled a little, but I think I made her uncomfortable with that move. After several thank yous and a couple of bows, I was out the door. Luck renewed, camera able to be properly recharged! Seriously, I couldn't believe it. Something like that is not important in the grand scheme of things, but that someone was willing to make it a big deal, hauling it wherever he went for weeks? Well, I'm touched. Thanks, Rad. Thanks.

Back to my now two-week tour of Singapore, next we checked out the main post office, nothing too wild, but it affords a good view of the city. Even though this city, state, country is so small, I still seem unable to get my bearings. We walked through a Malaysian market (mostly headscarves and tunics for sale among fruits and veggies), and passed Malay Village. Many Malays here used to live in communities called kampongs, traditional communities, only one of which still inhabited remains in Singapore and is on the verge of demolition.

We walked along rows of historic shop-houses, storefronts on the street level, apartments upstairs. A new karoake bar among them, the people here send flowers for openings. A gesture of luck and hope in new beginnings, it's funny to see flower arrangements dedicated, "All the best to 'Love You, Karaoke'!"

We stopped for laksa for lunch! I first had it in CH in Malaysia. My favorite, here it is a soup with coconut milk broth, noodles, shrimp, laksa leaves, fishcake, chilis and cockles. Famous 49 Katong Laksa does a great job. Sitting at a table on the side of the road with a jug of lime juice, you just don't care how hot the temperature is.

No comments: