Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mahjong!

Oh me, oh my, I have crossed into a new territory, people. I played mahjong today! Eight women and a lovely lil lunch in the middle of the day, we played mahjong all afternoon.

Having grown up playing cards, the rules are easy to follow. Two tables set up with the tiles in the middle, you deal counter clockwise around the table. A game of suits, you collect pairs, threes and fours of a kind and runs. It's fun. And I had a blast!

Games tell a lot about a person, whether sneaky or a straight-shooter, whether points-concerned or just in it for fun. I enjoyed sizing up my mom's friends and they me. I won a few games at the beginning. Beginner's luck. But once the game got going, they made mincemeat of me.

Don't be surprised if I come back to the States with a set for each of you! Especially you, Gladys and Roni!

2 comments:

Travis, Heather, & Tyler said...

Bring it to the 'Burg next time you visit. Or come on to Richmond! :)

Sockmonkee said...

We'll have to play at the beach this year!