Monday, April 6, 2009

So long, farewell!

Tonight we had a going away party for two of my parents' friends. Andrina and Alex are headed back to New Zealand tomorrow, having been in Singapore for 5 years. The expat community (peppered with a few Singaporeans) my parents have become a part of is at times a revolving door of comings and goings.

Gathered for the farewell at my folks' flat, we ate, drank, laughed. The women in the group get together far more than the men, so tonight the men were able to meet and carouse. I've been enjoying sparkling red wines like Lambrusco (for which the Italian in Langkawi mocked me--it's apparently swill) for a few years, but tonight shared a sparkling Shiraz. I fear it may be the Boone's Farm for red wine...at least it doesn't come in a box! I enjoy wine, regardless, and I hope haven't been a snob about it. Others liked it, too. And even men!

Getting to meet the people my parents have been talking about for 2 years is also cool. My mom, in particular, has traveled a fair amount with friends, taken Tai Chi with others and told stories about their lives. It's nice to put a name to the faces.

I have to admit, as well, I love parties. People getting together, having a meal, drinks. I just love it. And I much prefer to play hostess rather than being a simple guest. It's a delight, I think, in making sure people are enjoying and have all they desire.

We watched the sunset and chatted about our experiences. A new to the circle and the only kid in the crew, everyone was curious about my life and experiences in Asia. And while many of the men, and some of the women, work at the University, paths don't always cross, until, say, at a going away party. Tonight. Among the getting-to-know-you conversations, a strange one developed, in particular, between Kitty and Huei. The two women, both from Taiwan, found out that they'd grown up in the same area of Taiwan. Even more interesting, had gone to the same elementary and high schools. Shocked, the conversation then turned in to a battle, each woman trying to find out who was older, while revealing nothing of her own age. It was fun to watch. Cliches are cliches for a reason. Small world, indeed.

No comments: