Friday, May 11, 2007

Bolivia, Bolivia, Bolivia the tattooed lady...

Yesterday a Slovakian man (or is it Slovanian??) gave me a brand new memory card. How nice, yeah? He said that while the Czech Republic had been a big place for tourists, Slovakia is now edging it and Prague out, just starting to see a boom. Anyone interested in visiting? Let me know!

As much as donkeys aren't my favorite animals in the world per se, I'm going to miss seeing them on the side of the road, walking up mountains, hell, in the middle of the road. And llamas. They're graceful somehow.

Crossed into Bolivia today. Cool, right?!? We cruised into Copacabana
for a couple of hours (yes, I was singing the song the whole time) and now are headed to La Paz, the capital of Bolivia. On the bus, I overheard a man from Holland and a man from Switzerland joking about people from the US. Apparently, all we know about Holland is that they walk around in wooden shoes & smoke weed. And the Swiss have great bank accounts, chocolates and watches. I've spoken with both men on separate occasions in Spanish. Both had to ask me where I'm from because they couldn't tell. And to think how many Swiss I've met whom I've just adored! And one girl from Holland anyway Miriam. Funny how a Perúvian who has that impression of their countries isn't mocked...just us...it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. With the Holland guy, we talked about his kids, how his girlfriend left him 2 years back and how they now share time with the kids 50 50. He's single & traveling because of it. And I thought it was a genuine exchange between strangers. Naïve. I'm naïve and hope to remain that way. I wish they'd chosen seats farther back. And I didn't have any preconceived notions about the Dutch, ok, aside from bicycling and irrigational smarts. Until now. Oh, whatever. People are people. Mind you, they're speaking in English. That's why I could understand them. For all their mocking of the us, they're speaking in English. Not Dutch, German, French. Ironic?

No comments: