Monday, May 14, 2007

Caramela

The sun made it out today. Yes! My plan may work just yet! I might just be able to return to New York in a whole new personality...Caramela!! So today, I rented a bike from the hotel and hit the beach. I love dressing up, getting all sassy and going out for a nice dinner, dancing, whatever, but there's some part of me that will always love finding bike grease on the back of my leg. Or the chain print on my pants. As much as I may dress me up in frills and lace (I know, I know...it's certainly been a while), I'll never be able to escape having grown up with two big brothers. Not that I'd ever want to. How lucky.

I'm on Tuto Beach, soaking in the rays. I've had a cold since Puno and have been taking my malaria pills for it. They're also an antibiotic, with the side effect of extreme sensitivity to the sun. Hope I don't burn! There are currently 5 people on the beach to my left and 3 to my right, one bathing nude. Arica is mellow right now. It's winter here in Chilé, the crowds expected in July & August.

People here look at you, well, me anyway, but don't speak unless you speak first. Last night an older gentleman in a three-piece suit and hat was checking me out, so I spoke. He responded almost unaware that he'd been staring. Last night as well, I had another not so lonely Lonely Planet moment. I ran into Maria & Ivan, fellow New Yorkers (well, Ivan lives in New Jersey, but whatever), both of whom I met on the Cañon del Colca trip. They walked into the same pizza shop where I was having dinner. Small, small world. Scary, small sometimes. All in all, good. More good States folks. Well, Maria's actually Russian. Guess there are good people all over the world from all over the world. You've just got to keep your eyes and mind open. And be in the present moment to be sure you're able to recognize and receive them (thank you, Nathan). Normal pre-judgment cast off while traveling, I hope it stays with me when I get back.

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

Is this your last stop?