Monday, May 7, 2007

I just love trains!

Off to Machu Picchu this morning on the 7 am train. Yahoo! I go to Aguas Calientes for the day, then to Machu Picchu early tomorrow morning. I'm excited! Here's what I have with me: a bathing suit, toothbrush & paste, my camera and journal. Feels good. The train out of Cuzco to Machu Picchu heads in one direction, only to backtrack in reverse, then head forward again. In order to climb into the mountains, they had to lay track in switchbacks. The train follows that pattern four times over, the first hour spent in zigzags, then cuts a straight path through the mountains. Traveling by train is a welcome relief, reminiscent of Italy.

The train was also full of chatting. I met a family of 3 Chileans who gave me their contact info for when I'm in Santiago. We all talked with 2 Perúvians as well living in Lima. The guy from Lima has 2 passports, 1 Perúvian, 1 Italian. He said that when visiting the US with the Italian passport, no questions asked. With the Peruvian one, on the other hand, two hours later after a barrage of questions, he's granted access. The perception being why would an Italian leave Italy for the US? Meanwhile, why wouldn't a Perúvian leave Perú? About Italy, agreed. About Perú, not sure it's that simple. The Chileans were upper middle class. I have to say, I haven't met that many wealthy South Americans. They just don't usually stay or work in backpackers hostels. I've met maids, security guards, bartenders, mechanics, but not too many business men whose wives are lawyers. He asked me what my family does too. Funny. A mechanic asks how much I make in a month but doesn't care what my dad does. A maid asks where my husband and kids are. Hee, hee! I guess we all have an agenda.

It's easy to see why anyone would have wanted to settle in this part of the world. Aguas Calientes is beautiful to the eye but even more so to the ear. The river isn't huge but is powerful, falling from the mountains over tons of rocks. It sounds great. I'm happy to be out of Cuzco. I liked it fine but am learning that, for me, it's important to be near water. An island, fine! On a river or the ocean, no matter, I just have to be near some body of water. Oh and there has to be sun too! Those two things and I'm happy. It's nice how simple things become when traveling. I don't need room service, sure, I'll take it from time to time, but I don't need it. Today at the hostel an older Australian woman and I were shown a selection of rooms, one with a full bed, the others with 2 twin beds. I wanted the full, to stretch out, but was more than happy to let her have it and said so. Turned out the big bed was too soft for her..she said she has 2 broken ribs and needs a hard bed...random. How's she gonna handle Machu Picchu, the altitude, the walking, with broken ribs?? Hmm. The full room was number 22, so seems like it was supposed to be for me anyway. In the end, though, what does it matter? No worries. I'll sleep on a hammock, the floor, the bus if a must. On a plane, on the train!

No comments: