Thursday, May 3, 2007

Cusco

I made it to Cusco about 6 this morning. There's a parade on the Plaza de Armas today but it's just school kids. They sure have a lot of parades here in Perú. I think all schools here are Catholic, at least the primaries. The kids look so grown up in uniforms, some dressed like soldiers, others in full band gear. They're marching through the plaza, arms and legs swinging in front, passing crowds of adoring parents.

I'm staying in a party hostel so we'll see how that goes. Lots of English speakers which is ok but not my favorite. A party hostel indeed. The hostel sells shirts that read:
¨The 5 lies of Loki:
1. I'm not going out tonight.
2. I'm going out but I'm not drinking.
3. I'm going out and drinking but I'll go home early.
4. I'm leaving tomorrow.
5. I love you.¨

Uh oh. And I think I may be the oldest person in the hostel. There are a lot more teenagers traveling in Perú than Colombia or Ecuador. I'm just not ready to meet and chat up kids who were born in the 90s...AAAAHHHH!!!! I did meet one guy older than me, Andrew the Australian. A gentleman. He lost his parents in a car accidnet last year and I'm not sure he's grived properly yet. I can't imagine. How hard. He got arrested in Lima for fighting and had to pay $500 to avoid jail. Otherwise, he would have sat and rotted. Seems like Australians have some short tempers.
The hostel is up a hill which is nice. I'm getting a good bit of exercise cruising up the stairs. My knees have almost recovered from Cañon del Colca, but not quite. The hostel's on Calle Santa Ana, so it's sort of on my street, even though I'm no saint. I'm in a room with a British girl named Julia. We were in the same room in Lima too. The world just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

No comments: