Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Mercans

I think one of the smartest things I could have done while traveling in South America was to wear one of the sparkly cross earrings Tony bought in Rome two years back. Given that most of the population is Catholic here, and serious about it, just feels like it's some sort of protective omen. Thanks, Tones. Knock wood.

So, Puno. It's frickin cold here. During the day it looks pretty rough but at night it's fun. Boutique-like. I'm having kingfish, caught in the nearby Lake Titicaca (yes, I'm serious...that's the name of the lake), for dinner with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Just need hearty stuff when it's chilly, right? The music here sounds like it's from the 70s, a Vegas lounge act. Perúvian nationalist Vegas lounge music. Score! I'm never leaving! Hey, maybe they'll even hire me! And I can actually pronounce the words, not that anyone will care, or even notice...

It's nice traveling alone in South America, you can do what you want, meet who you want. The only problem is when I run into other English speakers--well North Americans, anyway. Wait. We've decided it's ok to call people from the US Americans, right? Just as long as you don't drop the A and I and say ¨Mercans¨ like GW. Does he still do that? Honestly, I just heard that Britney Spears shaved her head. How out of touch am I, thank the lord!?! Anyway, looks like I'm the one who receives people from other countries better than those from my own--except New Yorkers...and Southerners. They're always well-received, at least outside of the US for sure. Oh, well. I guess it's just because there's no challenge. I can understand everything without any effort. Maybe it's just too easy? Oh, but it is a laugh to hear us speak Spanish, myself excluded. My Spanish is kickin lately!!

No comments: