Saturday, May 26, 2007

Substitute

I finished my book. Love in the Time of Cholera. It made me cry several pages before the end. Actually crying, lying on the beach tears down my face into the sand. It was beautiful. The moment when she & Florentino undress for the first time, she tells him not to look because he won't like what he sees, he turns anyway and loves her that much more. Then he undresses too, throws each article of clothing at her as he does and they almost die laughing. I know. I'm a sap. But you have to read this book.

I baked a cake for the man today. It was a production because it was a surprise. Today's his birthday. I know. Great. A Gemini. I love them in the female form. Ain't no better girlfriend in the world! But as a dude...well...? Anyway, the oven here has no temperature gauge. And I actually had to cook the frosting. No Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker. Funny. So it was double decker chocolate cake with raspberry sauce in the middle and chocolate frosting. Went over pretty well but I'm not sure this dude's a man I'd marry anymore. Not because he's unworthy. He's just a little inconsiderate. And maybe all this heart stuff is just a substitute for something else. Like margarine. Me, I'm a Southern girl. And as much as my mom had us eating oleo (she still calls it that!! Love you, Mom!), nothing beats the real thing...BUTTER.

2 comments:

Sockmonkee said...

Nothing beats the real thing baby!

Unknown said...

butter is like buttah, babe! (as is a good novel)