Saturday, May 5, 2007

A bargainer I'm not.

I showed up at the Centro Commercial, the huge Cusco market, early, before 8 am opening hour. There's a family of 5 setting up their tiny kiosk. Mom, Dad, older sister, brother, baby girl sweeping. And to think the goods we all bargain for feed those mouths. I'm not that fond of bargaining. Sometimes I just feel like I'm ripping people off, handmade goods and all. It's hard to get used to, paying half the original, quoted price. It's just weird.

After the market, I ran into 2 Spaniards I met in the convent back in Arequipa. They've run into some negative attitudes here, as have I lately. Not many but still. It's understood, we're tourists with money to burn, but the power of selection can be difficult. Everyone wants you to buy and it's linked to luck and blessings. Today every time I bought something, the vendor said a blessing. As though my purchase were sent from God. Scary. So you do your best to chat with people at least a bit so that they know you're human, not a walking wallet. And, too, I like to know what their lives are like, if only to share for a few moments. So I bought from the family I watched set up earlier in the morning.

I can feel the time coming to a close. Only a few more weeks left of this trip, I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to the States. I have no credit card debt, so that's good. One of my best friends is taking care of the apartment, so that's good. I still have money, so that's good. Now for the bad stuff...wait...there isn't any!! Nice!

Quick note, Mom: I'm on day June 16th in my journal and just wanted to say thanks! It's turned out to be such a wonderful gift. Hope you guys are great in Singapore. Love you!

No comments: