Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hope

I had alfajores for breakfast today. With an espresso just like in Buenos Aires!

I passed a woman walking through Tompkins today with her boyfriend. He was maybe just over 3 feet tall. And walked with crutches. An unusual pairing, perhaps, but a nice one to see at that. She caressed him, put her arms around his shoulder. It made me feel good. You could just tell there was love. I sat down to read in the park and was too close to the street people. Street people are loud, sometimes beligerant. I don't mean homeless people; they're usually harmless. And sometimes fun. But street people. Bands of kids who care for their people more than themselves. They have dogs. And sometimes kids. And live like gypsies, or maybe misfits, in the street. For life. I wonder how one becomes a street person. Probably all runaways as teenagers and never looked back. They're in their teens to 30s, even older, a rowdy bunch. But this book I was reading was too good to stop reading and move away from their mayhem. It was only water gun fights and cursing today. The book is called Kill Me by Stephen White. The main character sets up an insurance policy that wil end his life given certain catastrphic situations. For instance, terminal illness, serious brain damage or paralysis. Kind of morbid to think, I guess. Anyway, an insurance policy of a sort. It's more of a page-turner for its pace and action than, say, a love story of political commentary. But it was a good, fast read. Another book with which I'm sad to be finished.

I walked past the Quaker Church on 5th Ave & 29th tonight on my way to the Apple store. As much as the US is at war, there are still people out there with hope. The Quakers have lined the gates of their church with "Prayers for Peace." Ribbons in yellow, green and blue, circle the church and brighten the streets, blowing in the wind, in the whoosh of a passing bus. While other governments and media see the US as imperialist, as conquerers of the world, a capitalist machine, looks like there are a few left with hope of good things to come.

No comments: